Apply for new Aadhaar Card : Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identity number which is issued to residents of India based on their biometric and demographic data. If you do not have Aadhaar Card till now, it is the time for you to apply for Aadhaar Card now. Not only Aadhaar serves as a strong Proof of Identity and Residence but it also serves many other purposes like it helps you get passport in 10 days, opening new bank account, filing ITR, for getting LPG subsidy and a lot more. In this article, not only you will get to know the process to apply for Aadhar Card offline but we will tell you the process to apply for Aadhaar Card online as well.
How to Apply for Aadhaar Card ?
In order to apply for a new Aadhar Card, you will have to visit one of the Aadhaar Enrolment centers located near you. Once you reach the Aadhaar Enrolment Center, you need to fill the enrolment form and submit your biometric data along with your address and identity proof. Earlier, Aadhaar registrations we quite tough but now they have been made very simple by UIDAI.
Let’s first have a look at the steps to apply for Aadhaar Card.
Steps to Apply for Aadhaar Card
We would like to tell you that as of now it is not possible to complete the process to apply for Aadhar Card online, its just that we can book the appointment online and the process is all offline once you reach one of the nearest aadhaar enrolment centres. There are plenty of Aadhaar enrolment centres in every city, so even if you don’t book the appointment it doesn’t really matter.
Step 1 : Find an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre nearest to your place. If you live in Tier I cities, you can easily find it at https://uidai.gov.in/images/Tier1_Cities_PECs.pdf. Alternatively, you can also find one of the Aadhaar Enrolment Centres in your city by visiting https://appointments.uidai.gov.in/easearch.aspx.
Step 2 : Collect and Fill up the Aadhaar enrolment form completely. (you can also download the Aadhaar Enrolment form online at https://uidai.gov.in/images/aadhaar_enrolment_correction_form_version_2.1.pdf)
Step 3 : Submit the completely filled up form along with required documents like Proof of Identity and the Proof of Address.
Step 4 : Once your documents are verified and accepted, you will need submit your biometric data such as your fingerprints and iris scan.
Step 5 : Your photograph is also taken by a Webcam which will be printed on your Aadhaar Card.
Step 6 : Do remember to collect the Acknowledgement slip which contains the 14-digit Enrolment Number. This Acknowledgement Slip will be helpful for you to check Aadhar card status.
Note : Do remember to keep your Acknowledgement slip safely till you get the Aadhaar card.
Once you submit your documents and biometric information for Aadhaar Card registration, it may take up to 90 days for the Aadhaar Card to reach your postal address. Your aadhaar card will be sent by Post, and UIDAI is getting a huge number of applications for Aadhaar Card, it may even take more than 90 days.
In case you need to your Aadhaar Card, you have the option to download your Aadhaar Card(Also known as e-Aadhaar).
For getting your e-Aadhaar Online, you must follow the steps given below :
- Visit the official website of UIDAI.
- Fill in the form using either your enrolment number or the Aadhaar number.
If you have your Aadhaar Enrolment Number :
- Enter your Enrolment Number.
- Enter the date and time exactly as you see on on the acknowledgement slip.
- Enter your name, area pin code and enter the security code.
- Click on Request OTP
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number and download the e-Aadhaar.
If you have your Aadhaar Number :
- Enter your Aadhaar Number along with your name and pin code.
- Enter the security code and click on request OTP.
- Enter the OTP which you have received on your mobile number and download the e-Aadhaar.
E-Aadhaar Password :
Please note that the Password for E-Aadhaar Pdf file is the combination of the first 4 letters of your Name in Capital Letters and Year of Birth in YYYY Format.
Example :- If your Name is Srikanth Varma and your Year of Birth is 1989, then your Password will be SRIK1989.
Documents accepted as Proof of Identity for Aadhaar Card
- PAN card
- Ration/PDS Photo card
- Voter ID
- Driving license
- Government Photo ID Cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
- NREGS Job Card
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- Arms License
- Photo Bank ATM Card
- Photo Credit Card
- Pensioner Photo Card
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card
- Kisan Photo Passbook
- CGHS/ECHS Photo Card
- Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Certificate of Identify having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
Documents accepted as Proof of Address for Aadhaar Card
- Bank Statement/Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 3 months)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Instruction on letterhead
- NREGS Job Card
- Arms License
- Pensioner Card
- Freedom Fighter Card
- Kisan Passbook
- CGHS/ECHS Card
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) Income Tax Assessment Order
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Registered Sale/Lease/Rent Agreement
- Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt.
- Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
Documents accepted as Proof of Date of Birth for Aadhaar Card
- SSLC Book/CertificatePassport
- Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Officer on letterhead
An important point to note is that there are some states and Union Territories in India where the enrolment of Aadhaar is carried out by Registrar General of India.
These states and UTs are :
- Arunachal Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Tamil Nadu
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Bangalore rural
- Jammu & Kashmir
The process of applying for Aadhaar Card is the same for all these states and UTs as is for the rest of India.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Q.1) Can I apply for Aadhar Card Online?
A.1) No, you cannot apply for Aadhar online, you can only book or schedule your Aadhaar appointment online and then you will need to visit the Aadhaar enrolment centre for completing the process of Aadhar enrolment.
Q.2) What are the documents required for Aadhar Card?
A.2) You need to submit Proof of Address, Proof of Identity and Proof of Date of Birth to apply for Aadhar Card. The list of documents is given above.
Q.3) Do NRI need Aadhar Card?
A.3) It is not mandatory for NRI/OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) to get an Aadhaar according to the Aadhaar Act and hence they are fully exempted to produce Aadhaar for any kind of verification. NRIs, even when they are citizens of India, will not eligible to obtain an Aadhaar card if they have not been staying for 182 days or more in the last 12 months, after the date of application.
Q.4) Can a NRI apply for Aadhar Card?
A.4) An NRI is eligible to apply for Aadhaar. The applicant book an appointment online or can directly visit the Aadhaar Enrolment centre to complete the process.
Q.5) How much time does it take to get Aadhar Card?
A.5) It will take about 3-5 weeks for the Aadhar Number to be generated. Once your Aadhaar has been generated, you will get a message about the same on your registered mobile number and email. An Aadhar letter will be sent to your residential address along with the Aadhaar Card within 30-90 days after the generation of Aadhaar. In the mean time, you can download e-Aadhaar(by visiting the official site of UIDAI) and use it.
Q.6) Is Aadhar Card required for Passport?
A.6) It is not mandatory to produce Aadhaar Card for Passport application. However, only this single document can be used as your Proof of Address and Proof of Date of Birth. Otherwise, you will need to submit two separate documents for Address and Date of Birth Proof.
Q.7) Is Aadhar Card proof of Date of Birth?
A.7) Aadhaar and E-Aadhaar now acts as a strong proof for Date of Birth. Even it is accepted for Proof of Date of Birth for Passport Application.
Q.8) Can I update Aadhar Card?
A.8) Yes, you can update your Aadhar Card details once your Aadhaar Card number is generated.
Q.9) What documents are required for Aadhar Card for Child?
A.9) To apply for an Aadhaar Card for child, you would need the following documents:
- Birth certificate of the child OR Photo ID issued by the School in which the child is studying (if the child is currently enrolled in a school),
- Aadhaar card details of the parents of the Child.
- Proof of Address of the parents of the Child
- Proof of Identity of the parents of the Child
Final Words :
Hope you liked our Article on the process to apply for Aadhar Card. Although we wish that in future the complete process to apply for Aadhaar Card online is also implemented as it becomes easier for the common people to apply for it from their homes.
There might be a case that in future you might lose your Aadhaar Card. So, do remember to read our article on How to Find Aadhar Number with Name.